Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Hiding Our Ancestors

Last week genealogy made the mainstream news regarding allegations that actor Ben Affleck pressured the PBS genealogy television show Finding Your Roots into overlooking an ancestor who owned slaves.

I don't have any slave-owning ancestors, as the first of my immigrant ancestors came to the U.S. in 1865.  If anything, many of my European farmer ancestors were likely serfs, at the bottom of the social ladder.

Still, there are many people in my family tree that are embarrassing or worse.  But they are my kin.  People are people, some are good and some not so good.  I cannot claim credit for their accomplishments and I am not responsible for their sins.

So I won't hide any of my tree as I continue to explain my family history. I just want to find out whatever I can about the truth.