Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Genealogy Jamboree 2015 is Almost Here!

Online registration is closed for Genealogy Jamboree, and in just over a week I will be headed to Burbank. I debated registering for a couple of the meals, but the costs are just so high and I am not sure that I will really be in the mood to be chatty by Friday night or Saturday morning.

I start out on Thursday at DNA Day, and I expect to be really insanely busy that day, trying to soak up as much information as possible.  DNA is the area that I am really exploring most right now, as I am hoping to find matches who are real cousins who may be holding the keys to hidden doors in my brick walls (OK, mixing analogies here is a bit problematic).

If you can't make it to Burbank but want to see a few of the DNA sessions being streamed for a fee, go to:  http://streaming.webcastandbeyond.com/scgs/dna/  There may be some free sessions during Jamboree proper, but I haven't seen the schedule for those yet.

On Friday morning I am signed up for the sold out Autosomal DNA Chromosome Matching Workshop from Dr. Tim Janzen.  This is the one session that has me nervous, because it is the only one that I have any specific hopes about and I hate having dreams dashed at events like this.  But it is hands on and I need to get serious about chromosome mapping if I want to squeeze every juicy nugget out of my DNA tests.

It should be obvious that after all of that, I will already have my brain sizzling. So a day and a half of normal workshops on Friday afternoon and Saturday will undoubtedly be enough for me.  Hence I am flying back to Oakland on Saturday night, saving a night's hotel stay and catching a cheaper flight.  (Plus I am spending the following Monday lobbying on behalf of the California judiciary and I wanted a little downtime for transitioning.)

I will be blogging from Jamboree, and hopefully will be all sorts of excited by the festivities.