Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Heredis 2015 Released - Looks Good in Theory



I just received a promotional e-mail this morning about the release of Heredis 2015, and I immediately upgraded from my existing Heredis 2014.

If you have followed this blog, then you know that I have a continuing angsty relationship with genealogy software, and I have been unable to commit to one, so I try several.

Heredis has a video of the changes to Heredis 2015, and it looks very impressive:



For those of you who don't want to sit through a 9 minute video, the key features include a souped up photo and document management system that can tag individuals in the photos or information referenced in the document and automatically link them to events and multiple people in the tree, including pulling signatures out of documents; provide contextual online searches of public databases from within the software; provide basic photo and document image editing; and create online albums from all of this information.

Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the proof of the genealogy software is in the entry and manipulation of the family tree.  So I will experiment with these new features, and see if they are as amazing as they look in the video.  Also, I will play around with the software in general to see if it is all glitz and no substance.

Compared these kind of features to what we had in software a few years ago, and the development of this field becomes clear. These are not just pretty tools but practical ones. They assist in search and integration of citation into the tree.  The latest versions of the other major software are similar, but it is not surprising that this newest software has some of the best new bells and whistles.

I expect to see this type of development in other programs in the near future as they compete to offer new features and polish.

Of course, with Legacy I would be happy if I could just enter my marriage.