Sunday, July 5, 2015

Do-Over Challenge - Wouldn't You Know It - Research Breakthrough Beckons

Well, my Genealogy Do-Over suddenly met its first challenge today.

One of the features of online trees and their fancy searching algorithms is that they continue their mechanical search for information notwithstanding our quaint concepts like "setting previous research aside."

MyHeritage.com found a tree from a user in Poland that contains what might be my great-grandfather Romuald Kolakowski. who came to the United States in 1904.

The tree, totally unsourced, traces the Kolakowski family back to the mid 1700s.  It has a Romuald Kolakowski who went to the United States who is about a year older than the earliest reported birth date for my ggf.  I have only found one Romuald Kolakowski entering the United States.  This is likely to be him.

I suddenly have this massive research project dropped into my lap.  I have all of this information that I know about him and his possible siblings in the United States, and this additional, extensive but unsourced, information about his possible life before he left Poland.

I am going to try to use this opportunity to organize and solidify what I know about the Kolakowski family.  I am going to organize the research, and use proper methodology.  However, I also have potential relatives in Poland who will be eager to find out what I know about my family.

This will be an interesting project.