Thursday, August 20, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over (Cycle 3) - Week 7 - Database Software and Digitizing Photos and Documents



So we are now nearing the end of Week 7 of the third cycle of the Genealogy Do-Over.

Review of Last Week


I have actually spent this week on the first of the topics below.

Two Topics for Week 7



Reviewing Genealogy Database Software


Ah, the perpetual review of genealogy database software. This is a topic that I go over constantly. I have posted more on this topic here than any other topic.

I used to break these programs down into two categories: those that sync with online trees (Ancestry.com and MyHeritage.com) and those that don't. However, with the increased number of programs syncing with FamilySearch.org, this is need nuancing.

A deal breaker for me is whether the program can handle my marriage to my wife. That pretty much rules out Legacy 8.0, which is just hard-wired to reject us.


So I have been reviewing, again, the various programs.  

I still find Family Tree Maker to be the most comfortable to me.  I think that may be because I have been using it since the last millennium, and I have trained myself to think in its terms.

Given that most of my overseas relatives are on MyHeritage.com, I wanted to like its software, but it just still feels like it is a generation or two behind.

For now, I will stick with Family Tree Maker and constantly question that decision.


Digitizing Photos and Documents


This is something that I don't need to do, because I have digitized everything that I can get my hands on. 

Now, the problem is organizing those files, which has been on my To Do list for over a year. I stress over it even more than I do over what software to use.