Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Elected Vice President of the California Genealogical Society for 2017

This past Saturday, January 14, 2017, was the annual business meeting for the California Genealogical Society.

We started with a potluck, then some of us had a brief tour of the emergency exits for the Library.

The business meeting was quick and interesting, as we opened with a letter from a longtime member about how CGS training helped her live her genealogical dreams, reviewed the past year, heard a report about the success of our first capital campaign, and discussed the plans leading up to our 120th anniversary celebration in 2018. I will have a lot more to post about those plans in the next few months.

After the meeting, we had a short board meeting to elect officers. I was elected as Vice President, which is something that I have been discussing with our President, Linda Okazaki, for the past month or so.

This does not mean that I will be the next President. I have not made such a commitment, for a variety of reasons.

First, I have a full-time, demanding profession, and we operate a major library with NO PAID STAFF.  That means that the volunteers need to do everything, and the buck stops with the President.

Second, I am still fairly new to leadership, and I want to make better connections with people.

Finally, I want to deliver results on the projects that I am undertaking before asking others to support me as their leader.

That being said, I am not approaching the position the way that my predecessor did - she made it clear up front that she was not going to be President. Instead, I am going to keep an open mind. I would like to do it, but I am uncertain that this is the right timing for me.

In terms of projects, I am taking on the lead for strategic planning. This is a function that excites me in several organizations, but I still need to improve my own skillset and toolbox to make this work out effectively.

Also, I am presenting my first genealogy class next month, on Eastern European Genealogy. This marks a real milestone for me.  I will post more about that soon.

I am very much looking forward to genealogy in 2017, and continuing my work with CGS.